Monday, February 3, 2014

Bhel Puri

As a kid, I remember my mom used to make this so very often. I never liked coriander when added to Rasam or any other vegetable and used to take and keep it aside. But when it was added to Bhel Puri, I would empty the plate without a trace of coriander. My parents used to keep asking me how I was able to eat coriander if I hated it so much in Rasam. I used to tell them, "I don't like soggy coriander, I like it fresh and green like this." Whatever, who bothered, as long as I got to eat more and more Bhel Puri. Every time I went out to a restaurant also, I would order Bhel puri. I was so crazy. This is what I call pleasant memories associated with each of these recipes.

Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Serves :2 

Ingredients

Kurmura / Murmura / Pori - 2 cups
Potato - 2 small , boiled and peeled
Onion - 1 big, chopped
Coriander - 3 tbsp, finely chopped
Papdi - 8 broken
Sweet Chat Chutney - to taste
Spicy Green Chat Chutney - to taste
Salt - to taste
Black Salt - to taste
Chilli powder - to taste (optional)
Nylon Sev - to taste (I like more on mine - so I don't specify quantity)
Oil - 1 tbsp

Procedure

1. Roast the murmura in 1 tbsp oil till crisp
2. Chop the potato into slices / cubes to suit your liking
3. Put the murmura, broken papdi, chopped potato, chopped onions, chutneys and powders and mix well in a wide vessel
4. Put them into two bowls and serve garnished generously with coriander and nylon sev

Note: 

1. You can always increase  / decrease the quantity of any of the ingredients to suit your taste. So go ahead and enjoy this guilt free, healthy snack.

2. If you run out of chutneys, you can always make a sukha bhel and still enjoy it. Only addition would be a dash of lime to make it slightly tangy.

No comments: