Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fruit Squashes

Having lived in Chennai till my wedding, I know how I loved summers as a school going kid and how much I have hated it after my wedding. I used to enjoy going to school and when we had exams in March or starting April, we had school only for half a day. I used to cycle back home in the afternoon and look forward to the delicious squashes that my mother made every summer with some fruit or the other. It used to last us the enitre summer and used to be such a relief in the afternoons.

Here I am presenting the squash recipes in a tabular form as an easy reckoner. Obviously it is my mom's recipe and I guarantee that it will be a huge hit !!!

Try making these squashes. These measurements yield about 2 .5 lites of thick squash.


Ingredients
Mango
Orange
Lime
Pineapple
Black Grapes
Fruit Juice
500gm
1 litre
1 litre
1 litre
1 litre
Water
500 ml
1 litre
1 litre
1 litre
1 litre
Sugar
1 kg
2 kg
2 kg
1.8 kg
2 kg
Essence
(Optional)
Mango
(few drops)
Orange
(Few drops)
Lemon
(Few drops)
Pineapple
(Few drops)
Grape
(Few drops)
Color
(Optional)
Orange
Orange
Green
Yellow
Tonovin Color
Citric Acid
15 gm / 1 tbsp
30 gm / 2 tbsp
-
30 gm / 2 tbsp
25gm / 1.5 tbsp
KMS Powder/ Potassium Metabisulphate
(Preservative)
4 gm
4 gm
4 gm
4 gm
4 gm












Procedure

1. Boil sugar and water.
2. Make a slight syrup and add citric acid crystals and remove from flame
3. Allow it to cool completely
4. Add the fruit extract / juice, essence and colour (if adding).
5. Dissolve preservative in a little water and then add to the squash.
6. Store immediately in sterilized bottles.

No comments: