Thursday, April 24, 2014

Kalakkai Pickle

This pickle is one pickle I love for its unique texture in the mouth. I thought I would love making it. But I realised it is one sticky affair. Nevertheless, my love for this pickle made me go ahead and I bought a whole lot of kalakkai and made this pickle while I was in Bangalore last year.

Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes

Ingredients

Kalakkai - 1 cup, pitted
Gingelly Oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida / Hing - 1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Chilli powder - 1 tsp

Procedure

1. Chop the kalakkai into long strips.
2. Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds
3. After it splutters, add the hing, chilli powder.
4. Add the kalakkai pieces and cook covered till the kalakkai is cooked and the oil separates.
5. Add required quantity of salt and make sure there is no water.
6. Store in a clean dry bottle and enjoy it with curd rice.

No comments: